Friday, January 03, 2014

It's a New Day! It's a New Year!

Wondering where 2013 went was where I began with my annual Christmas Poem. How is it that the 365 days we are given in one year fly by so fast? Wasn't it only yesterday that we were looking ahead to 2013 with high hopes and visions of what we could accomplish? Yet, we come to it's end and feel a let down because we realize we let many opportunities slip and as a result, have not yet seen those hopes and visions come to fruition. Perhaps all is not as it seems... perhaps some of our problem is our perception. We seem to have extremely narrow vision; mostly, it's an inward, "me" focus. As the old saying goes, "We can't see the forest for the trees."

Gaining a broader, wider view forces us to step back, to step up to a higher level. When all is said and done, the only perspective that truly matters is God's. We will be judged according to His set of books; not ours, and not anyone else's. At this transition between what's past and what's to come, I have tried to utilize my own "present" realities as a stepping stone; to stand on them and rethink them as manifestations of how God has brought me to this point in life.

I suppose age has something to do with it, because length of days reveals the aging process not only works on you, it's also working on your children and grandchildren. Both of my daughters are now in their forties. My oldest grandson has just graduated from Marine Basic Training. My youngest grandchild will soon be eight years old. I see signs of wear and tear in my own body as recently as yesterday, when an update of my medical records notified me that I have no less than eleven health issues, most of which are not serious, (thankfully,) but three of them bear close attention and affect multiple areas of my life, including my mobility.

From strong and able to do just about anything I set my mind to just a few years ago, to a cane, a walker, and a wheelchair betimes is a rude awakening to the unrelenting process of aging. Thankfully, the Lord has been right here throughout. He awakens me in the morning with songs and verses of Scripture that bring comfort and joy. He gives me thoughts that turn into letters and articles; words of encouragement for others. He gives me His grace and the strength to be faithful in my responsibilities. My children and grandchildren are learning and growing in grace and in the knowledge of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ - I see this and feel an overwhelming sense of peace and great joy, knowing He is able to complete the work He began - not only in me, but in them also. This realization has me looking forward with great hope to 2014.

Happy New Year!
Maranatha!

No comments: