Monday, March 26, 2012

Re-Thinking "Oh, Moanie Me!"

I've been dealing with a physical dilemma since July of 2008. Like quicksand, it's affected so many things in my life; my body, aches and pains, mobility, mood, and my livelihood (forcing early retirement). What's more, the sheer length of time involved has been an additional drag. Seems like everything I've always loved to do is in a holding pattern. Painful days have found me limping and gimping around the house and anywhere else. From some unknown somewhere, I picked up a little saying, "Oh, moanie me!" Believe me, it got frequent use.

Then, I realized the "Oh, moanie me's" I've immersed myself in are counter-productive. I'm all too aware of how long I've been in this case, but I'm seeing that dwelling on that aspect only hinders progress in other, more needful areas. All this came in the course of, and as a result of a couple of week's study and ponderfication on the Adult SS lesson I taught yesterday (March 25th) - "The Prayer of Moses." (Psalm 90).

Condensed; God is our Dwelling Place, our Refuge and Shelter, our Portion, and our Reward - there is no safer place to be - it is enough! HE is enough! Wow!

This may seem like no big revelation, sort of a "Duh!"; but when I applied it to my own situation it was like a light suddenly came on in a dark room. If my life exists, consists, and is wrapped up in HIM, I am rich beyond compare - my current (temporal) condition/situation has no bearing on that reality.

Think about it! HE is both Author and Finisher of our faith. "HE who began a good work in you will perform it until the day..." Seeing that in the abstract is way different than perceiving its specific application. It has nothing to do with so-called "eternal security." It has everything to do with Who and What HE is! My circumstances, uncomfortable and difficult though they may be, cannot deplete HIM. I needed to once again realize it never has been, isn't now, and never will be my own grace or strength... Thousands of years ago, Moses knew and fleshed this out in life and in his prayer - the 90th Psalm. Meditating on his perspective brought me to a need to re-commit my life, my health, my hopes, my aspirations - and wrap them all up in HIM.

And as to any current dilemma/s, HIS Word says, "MY grace is sufficient - MY strength is made perfect in [your] weakness," (Okay - I think I've got my part of that equation pretty well covered.)

P.S. I know I may be preaching to the choir on this. Still, it's been an exciting weekend - even had the opportunity to back up what I've said herein with a public declaration/testimony last night during service. Hmm... Here's a bonus thought: It appears there's something very important about making an open statement for which you can be held accountable. Here's a well-known example. After posting his 95 Thesis, Martin Luther was required to defend himself. During that trial, he said, "Here I stand, I can do no other."

Next time you commit or re-commit something to God, tell somebody about it. That's what I just did!

No comments: